Aaron Hurst – Author of the book, The Purpose Economy
Purpose has become more and more a key concept for modern organizations: type ‘Purpose in American business’ into Google, and you’ll get 1,740,000,000 responses, for example. But how real is it? Is it the same as CSR or giving corporate money to a good cause? And, crucially, what’s its connection, if any, to L&D? On this special new Season on the podcast, we’re attempting to answer, if we can, these questions under the rubric: Is Purpose Working?
In this second conversation in our season Dani Johnson and Stacia Garr from RedThread, and Chris Pirie from LITNW, interviews Aaron Hurst: someone who literally wrote the book on the science of purpose and fulfillment at work. Aaron is a consultant, VC, social entrepreneur and Seattle-based Purpose influencer. In 2014, his book The Purpose Economy Aaron brought widespread attention to the concept of Purpose and its importance for our lives today.
This podcast interview covers topics like:
- How he ended up in Seattle after ‘something of a nomadic career’
- Why the purpose age represents a new economic era and major progress in humanizing work
- Why the non-profit world he started working in frustrated him—and what he did about it
- Why he wrote The Purpose Economy and how he’s convinced we’re in a whole new economic era fueled by ‘meaning’
- What last year’s Business Roundtable commitment to Purpose did for a lot of CEOs
- The role of L&D in Purpose
And stick around for the end – where Chris, Stacia, and Dani have a 3-way debate on what Aaron told us.
- Aaron Hurst LinkedIn profile
- Imperative website
- Aaron Hurst's book: The Purpose Economy
- Aaron's foundation, Taproot
- RedThread’s on-going Purpose work
This season will culminate in a live online gated experience (a webcast) where we'll review and debate what we've learned. Seats are limited. Secure your place today, over at www.novoed.com/purpose.
Global enterprises rely on its collaborative online learning platform to build high-value capabilities that result in real impact, with its customers working to deliver powerful, engaging learning that activates deep skill development, from leadership to design thinking and digital transformation, as well as driving measurable business outcomes.